• Back Road Mysteries Staff

Officials still trying to determine fate of Air Force veteran after 2018 incident in Houston

Houston is one of the largest cities in the nation, both in population and land mass. It is the largest city in the United States by total area whose government is not consolidated with a county, parish, or borough.

Though primarily in Harris County, small portions of the city extend into Fort Bend and Montgomery counties, bordering other principal communities of Greater Houston such as Sugar Land and The Woodlands.

Diverse in both age, gender and nationality demographics, Houston is the type of city that can swallow up a person whole in a heartbeat. Over 7 million people live within the demographics area,

So when a US Air Force veteran who was originally from a small town in Louisiana turned up missing in 2018, Jared Chavis became another statistic in the annals of Texascold cases.

This mystery began on January 12, 2018, when Chavis's mother tried to call him. He didn't pick up his cell phone.

"It wasn’t like him not to answer because Jared talks to his mom every day," says Willie Smith, Jared's father during a recent interview with a Houston television station. "She said 'something ain’t right,' and a mother’s instinct: when something ain't right, a mother knows."

The young Air Force veteran vanished that night, seemingly into thin air. A night out on Westheimer Road became the last time he was seen, and friends of the 19-year-old who were with him that night can't get their story straight. The mystery began on January 12, 2018, when Jared's mother called him. He didn't pick up. His parents reached out to a few friends Jared had been with the night before.

One of the stories was that they got in an altercation with some guys, someone shot a gun, and they all took off running and couldn’t find Jared. One was that Jared was in a car with this other guy and there were gunshots.

The friends claimed they had not called the police because they were sure Jared would come back for his car, which they said was parked at a CVS on Westheimer Road. It was not there when the police showed up at the scene. Jared never showed up, but his car did. It was found in an isolated parking spot at the Piney Point Apartments several blocks from the CVS. It had been cleaned out.

The investigation established on January 12, at 10:39 p.m., Chavis met up with the suspect, known only as "Bolt Suave" in the 8800 block of Westheimer Road.

Witnesses said that Chavis was riding in the back seat of a Forde Fusion driven by "Bolt Suave," and that at some point they began arguing.

During the argument, a witness told investigators that gunshots were fired in the car, but did not say if Chavis was wounded or killed.

According to that same witness, Chavis never got out of the car and has not been seen since.

Family members do not believe Jared would have intentionally abandoned his car. Then came rumors the car had been reportedly involved in a robbery.

Jared had graduated with honors from school, played football, and joined the Air Force coming out of high school. Jared had moved to Houston and was going to school. Eventually, Houston police notified the family that Jared's case is being handled as a homicide. The family says they were never told what evidence led them to believe Jared was dead.

If you have information on what happened to Jared Chavis, call in your tip to Houston Police Department's Missing Person Unit at (713)-731-5223. You may be eligible for a $10,000 reward from Crime Stoppers.

29 views0 comments